We are so proud of this awesome accolade for Durban! The Quality of Living Survey assesses quality of living conditions to help multinational companies and other employers fairly compensate employees when placing them on international assignments. Mercer compiles Quality of Living Reports and Location Evaluation Reports for each city, providing an overview of conditions and hardship premium recommendations.
As part of the rankings, Mercer highlights select cities that are evolving as business centers around the world and Durban tops that list too!
• Durban, South Africa (85) – Growing manufacturing and shipping center
• Cheonan, South Korea (98) – A tech and university center
• Taichung, Taiwan (99) – Rich cultural traditions have helped bring in key local and international industries
• Wroclaw, Poland (100) – Strong talent pool and good infrastructure
• Manaus, Brazil (127) – Manaus attracts businesses as a Free Economic Zone
• Hyderabad, India (138) – Home to many in the service industry (IT, insurance, and financial companies)
• Chongqing, China (142) – Major manufacturing (esp. automotive industry) center and transportation hub
• Xi’an, China (142) – An economic and technology development zone
• Pune, India (145) – Hosts IT and automotive companies
While 85th on the list, Durban did beat Cape Town (who came 91st) and Joburg (who rolled in at 94th). And why did Durban come out tops? Because of its “high-quality housing, plentiful recreational offerings and good consumer goods availability,” according to Mecer’s 2015 Quality of Living Rankings.
The rankings cover 230 destinations for globally mobile talent. Each city’s ranking is determined by the following factors:
1. Political and social environment
2. Economic environment
3. Socio-cultural environment
4. Medical and health considerations
5. School and education
6. Public services and transportation
8. Consumer goods
10. Natural environment
Top five cities with the best quality of living
Vienna tops the list as having the world’s best quality of living, and overall, European cities dominate while major cities in Australia and New Zealand feature in the top 10. North America only has one city cracking the top 10.
1. Vienna, Austria
2. Zurich, Switzerland
3. Auckland, New Zealand
4. Munich, Germany
5. Vancouver, Canada